A year-round staple for soft, supple lips, these balms (aka conditioners) are all 5-star. Time to pucker up!
Recently I was featured in an entertaining segment on the popular daytime show, The Doctors where I shared how to have a fun, active day at the beach. If you missed it, click HERE.
Part of any beach day or simply just spending time outdoors includes loading up on sunscreen (and reapplying every 80 minutes of course). We also know that our skin can get burned even when it’s cloudy or overcast outside, so I pretty much wear sunscreen year round, minus a few pouring rain days. Following are a few of my tried and tested, all time favorites. They sink right in, have anti-aging ingredients, don’t leave any white residue, have never left me with bumps or breakouts, and even more exciting, they all help your skin look incredibly smooth and youthful…
Just discovered this and I’m a huge fan because it lives up to its name. It’s an ultra light, non-chemical cream with SPF 30. It’s also packed with antioxidants that protect the skin from free radicals (those things that age us). My skin instantly looks extra smooth and glowing thanks to one of the ingredients – diamond powder, which blurs lines and imperfections. And, it can be applied under or over makeup.
I’ve been using Kate’s products for years and am always happy with the results. This oil-free formula is a triple threat – it hydrates, has SPF 50+ sun protection and is filled with coveted anti-aging benefits. A couple of the fancy ingredients include: Matrixyl™ 3000 which reportedly helps reduce the visible depth and volume of wrinkles on the face and Shitake Mushroom, a skin tightener that helps improve the look of sagging skin. It’s said to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, and I can tell you that it definitely does.
SkinCeuticals has been a major part of my beauty arsenal for years. I’m very loyal to their serums and have posted about them in the past – click HERE. This baby is super lightweight, contains beneficial plankton extracts and added plus, it’s water-resistant. The sheer tint also boosts your skin tone for a soft, alluring glow.
Here’s to smooth, ageless and protected skin!
Hiya! I’ll post about all of the sublime products I shared in my segment for The Doctors TV show later today. Please check back in for all of the must have details, and thanks for watching! If you haven’t yet subscribed to my blog, www.WhatImLoving.com, now’s the time! Just enter your email address in the Subscribe box and click Sign Up Now. There’s much more of What I’m Loving to come! Click HERE to see the segment!
Is your coffee table in need of a major boost? Well, here’s a stunning new book that’ll do just the trick – Blow Me A Kiss by New York based bestselling author of The White T, The Blue Jean and The Wedding Album…Alice Harris.
In Blow Me A Kiss, Ailce Harris has assembled a collection of images from the world’s most celebrated photographers, highlighting our enduring fascination and love of lips. From full, red and juicy to pale pink pouts, you’ll find iconic photos of famous personalities (and their mouths, of course) by the likes of Andy Warhol, Bert Stern, Roy Lichtenstein, Man Ray and many others. What’s not to love about that?
Talk about an ideal hostess gift too. With Blow Me A Kiss, it’s prime time to sit back, relax and get lost in lips. Mmmwwwwaaa!
Have to admit, I’m a sucker for luxury beauty products. Being that I’m a devoted seeker of sublime new discoveries, affordable drugstore finds are also my thing. That’s why I’m big on Pure Care Dry Oil by Dove. My hair is thick, wavy and can easily frizz when it’s a bit humid. It also gets a little puffy after a fresh wash, but after a few pumps of this luscious scented liquid made with moisturizing African Macadamia Oil, and my locks are soft, smooth and tamed. It never feels greasy or weighed down either. Priced under $12, this is one effective hair staple I’ve got quite a crush on!
Said it many times before… I’m a lipgloss lover. And, what’s really tickling my fancy right now is Maybelline’s newest line, Color Elixir by Color Sensational. This gloss is ultra luxe all around – from the clever tube design to the way it feels (ultra creamy) and smells (yummy), Color Elixir is my latest go to. There’s something for everyone too. I happen to be partial to lighter shades so Glistening Amber truly hits the spot for me – it enhances your own lip color while adding a touch of alluring sheen in the most perfect way. These glosses feel expensive too, but at less than $10, they’re not. Find them at your local drugstore and dive in. Long live lipgloss!
Feeling good and energetic everyday is a gift. That’s why I’m so grateful for Sherrie Matthews, LAc. – she is a licensed Acupuncturist and Herbalist with an esteemed Master’s Degree from Emperor’s College Of Traditional Oriental Medicine in Southern California. And, I’ll tell you from my own experience, Sherrie is one incredibly wise and gifted woman who truly knows her stuff when it comes to great health. A couple of years ago I was experiencing chronic allergy attacks and sinus infections (four sinus infections within a six month period) – fun stuff, right?! By the way, sinus infections weren’t anything new to me – I had the pleasure of getting my butt kicked by them almost every year since my teenage days, antibiotics and all. I was about to endure rounds of annoying allergy testing and injections; then fortunately I found Sherrie. I put myself in her very capable hands and gave acupuncture a try first. Even my Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) MD said acupuncture was worth a shot, which is very refreshing to hear from a Western doctor. Well, I’m thrilled to share that it’s been about 2 1/2 years and I’ve been sinus infection and allergy attack free! Raise the roof! And, given that I live in Southern California where allergy season seems to always be in full effect, this is quite a miracle in my opinion.
My typical acupuncture treatment with Sherrie consists of lying on a cozy massage table with soft, freshly washed sheets. Salt lamps, crystals, essential oils, and healing sounds permeate the serene room. Sherrie asks how I’m feeling and what I’d like to work on which is typically my sinuses, immunity and boosting energy. She can treat a wide array of conditions including: back and neck pain, digestive conditions such as acid reflux, infertility, anxiety, depression, sciatica, asthma, colds, and the list goes on. After that she “needles” me (it doesn’t hurt at all by the way, especially with Sherrie’s velvet touch). I relax and drift off for about 20-25 minutes. Then we move on to something a bit more intense: cupping – this can be slightly uncomfortable, especially if there are a lot of toxins in your body and/or if your back and shoulders are very tight. But, it’s well worth it. See the below photo for what a cupping treatment looks like. Here’s what Sherrie has to share about cupping: “The benefits of cupping in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) is to release tension and toxins that are stored in the muscles. My technique is specifically moving the cups. It is more like a deep massage as it reaches the inner layers of the muscles. It is used to tonify and harmonize all the organs and pathways. It can also be used to pull out emotional blocks as well as prevent or kick out the common cold.” That’s why, just like with a massage, you may feel a bit tired afterwards, and it’s also important to flush your system by drinking a lot of water.
When we finish that up Sherrie rubs some herbal cream into my shoulders and back, then places two ear seeds on the outer part of my ears. What the heck are ear seeds you ask? Sherrie says, “They are placed on the ear to keep the treatment in process for days after your treatment. It keeps the client actively involved in their healing process. The whole body has specific pathways which are represented in each ear. When you place the ear seeds on a specific point it continues to stimulate the acupuncture point in releasing certain chemicals to the brain to create balance and harmony, relieve pain, release seratonin, curb cravings and addictions. The most common points I use are to de-stress and regulate hormones giving optimal balance. I use gold 24 qt. ear seeds since gold is tonifying to the body. Silver ear seeds are for excess and an actual plant called Vicarria seeds are neutralizing.”
By now you’re probably asking yourself, how does acupuncture work anyways? According to Sherrie’s website: “When a needle is inserted into the body, it stimulates blood vessel dilation, which causes an immune defense reaction. This increased blood flow encourages natural chemicals to release. Acupuncturist’s use a variety of techniques to guide this stimulation to specific internal organs for healing and to release pain.” What I also deeply appreciate about Sherrie is that she’s incredibly knowledgeable about herbs, vitamins, supplements, and diet. She’ll consult with you on what foods to eat, what to avoid and which natural remedies are best for optimal health; it’s all personalized and based on your specific condition (s), of course. Sherrie even wraps things up with a little cherry on top by sending you home with essential oil bath salts for a recommended hot soak.
But wait, there’s more! if you happen to be looking for some alternative anti-aging methods, Sherrie has those up her sleeve too – she even offers Facial Acupuncture which is said to help you achieve a more glowing complexion as a result of the “increased Qi and blood flow to the face helping to boost collagen.” Sherrie says: “You will not only appear to look and feel more rested, but the appearance of wrinkles starts to lessen and skin appears more toned.” And, there’s much more to this than just the needles. I assure you this is a very relaxing treatment complete with the luxurious works: a facial cleansing, scrub, mask, and massage. Sherrie really does it up by utilizing all of the most pure, ultra natural skin care products too. So, what have we learned here? Want to boost your health, feel great, enjoy more energy, and look younger? Go see Sherrie Matthews stat! You can find her at:
7373 Beverly Blvd.
West Hollywood, CA 90036
Meta Bela Wellness Boutique
3401 Barham Blvd. #4
Hollywood, CA 90068
Many friends and WhatImLoving.com devotees have been asking me to share my skin care regime so I’m spilling the beans here and revealing my most trusted products. Ever since my pre-teen years I’ve always been mindful of taking really good care of my skin (I thank my mom for instilling that in me!). Other than what we already know and have heard countless times before: drink lots of water, wear sunscreen everyday, don’t soak up too much sun, and get a lot of sleep, I’ve stuck to a solid beauty routine of products I truly believe in. Here is my Dream Team which comes down to four lines – Annmarie Gianni (this makes up the majority of my routine), SkinCeuticals, Revision, and Erno Laszlo:
1) Annmarie Gianni Aloe Herb Cleanser – I can’t tell you how much I love Annmarie Gianni’s skin care products. They’re completely natural, they smell clean and delicious, the prices are fair, and bottom line, they work! The products are also housed in glass containers which is best for safe preservation of these precious fluids. The creamy Aloe Herb Cleanser is for all skin types, it washes off easily and leaves my skin feeling soft and dewy. A few times a week I also use Annmarie Gianni’s other cleanser, Citrus Mint for oily and acne prone skin – I tend to get a little oily around my nose and chin and this stuff does the trick. I never need to use another cleanser again – these two are it for me!
2) SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF – This anti-aging serum has been part of my arsenal for the last five years and I swear by it. I use it religiously every morning right after washing my face. It’s pricy but a little goes a long way and I believe this is a very effective serum. I’m not a scientist or doctor; I just know what works really, really well for my skin. So, go ahead and read about the science behind this stuff here. It melts right in and fine lines seem to disappear.
3) Revision Moisturizing Anti-Aging Sunscreen – I love me a three-in-one beauty product and Intellishade Matte by Revision is the holy grail – an anti-aging tinted moisturizer with sunscreen (SPF 45). I was never into tinted moisturizer until I discovered this stuff. It goes on smooth, sinks right in, never feels tacky, and helps my skin look flawless. It’s a lifesaver when you want to go makeup-less or just don’t have time in the morning for anything more than a slathering.
2) Annmarie Gianni Herbal Oil – Pure oil for your skin? Yup! Greasy? Not at all! I use the Herbal Oil for oily/acne prone skin every night, especially all over my forehead and dab it around my nose and chin. Before using this magic elixir I used to get bumps all over my forehead and they’d never seem to completely go away. After a few days of using it those bumps have never returned. Annmarie makes an Herbal Oil for normal/combination skin too, which I use here and there, especially when my skin feels dry. So to boil it down, I’ll use the Herbal Oil for oily skin on my forehead, chin and nose and the Herbal Oil for Normal and Combination Skin where my skin tends to feel dry (cheeks) and other areas that need a little extra moisture (neck and chest).
3) Annmarie Gianni Anti Aging Oil – I add this oil into the mix since it’s got the extra oomph of anti-aging. Mostly I use it around my eyes, forehead and lips. Love it.
1) Annmarie Gianni Dead Sea Scrub – Two to three times a week I use this ultra fine scrub after the cleanser and it works like a charm. You’ll see the results right away – smooth, baby soft skin.
2) Erno Laszlo Transphuse Age-Defying Mask – This one immediately had me at Age-Defying! I spread it all over my face and neck and keep it on for 15-20 minutes. It’s very creamy and feels like a moisturizer. Sometimes I even leave it on overnight and wash it off the next morning. It leaves my skin looking smooth and line-free. Yes, it’s on the pricier side but I think it’s well worth the splurge considering it lasts awhile and I can see visible results after using it.
And, there you have it! Everyone’s skin is different of course. I’m simply laying out what really and truly works for me. It’s a pretty quick and simple regime too. Once you dive in, I’d love to hear your feedback. Cheers to gorgeous, glowing, healthy, covet-worthy skin!
I’m a huge sucker for mascara. Thick, come hither lashes? Sign me up! A few easy brush strokes quickly punches up the eyes any time of day. From the ultra fancy $30 tube to the bargain at just five clams, I’ve tried them all. Yes, there are several pricier luxury brands that I’ve grown quite fond of, but I’ve also discovered a huge winner that has now become my #1 go to – Loreal Paris Extra-Volume Collagen Mascara. The name alone is enough to give it a whirl! This stuff dramatically boosts my lashes and it doesn’t clump or smudge. More happy news, it’s under $7.00. Go ahead, drench your lashes with a little love.