Find No Biggy! by clicking HERE!
When the going gets tough, the tough say… No Biggy!
Subscribe via email to get the latest posts right in your inbox.
Said it many times before… I’m a lipgloss lover. And, what’s really tickling my fancy right now is Maybelline’s newest line, Color Elixir by Color Sensational. This gloss is ultra luxe all around – from the clever tube design to the way it feels (ultra creamy) and smells (yummy), Color Elixir is my latest go to. There’s something for everyone too. I happen to be partial to lighter shades so Glistening Amber truly hits the spot for me – it enhances your own lip color while adding a touch of alluring sheen in the most perfect way. These glosses feel expensive too, but at less than $10, they’re not. Find them at your local drugstore and dive in. Long live lipgloss!
I’ve been searching for the softest, cushiest, plushiest, most luxurious bath rugs for-eva, and I’ve finally found them. Lemme tell ya, they were well worth the wait! There’s nothing like stepping out of the bath or shower onto these babies by Celso de Lemos. Pure, pure heaven. They’re built to last and machine washable too. You can find them at my favorite new spot for bed and bath goods – Grande Maison de Blanc. If you’re into all out luxe for the home this is the only shop you need. We spend a ton of time in the bedroom and bathroom – shouldn’t these two very important spaces wrap us in luxury? I think so! Please note: the photo above doesn’t quite do this rug justice – you must sink your tootsies into it to fully experience the cush. Pricey? Yes. Worth it? Completely.
Feeling good and energetic everyday is a gift. That’s why I’m so grateful for Sherrie Matthews, LAc. – she is a licensed Acupuncturist and Herbalist with an esteemed Master’s Degree from Emperor’s College Of Traditional Oriental Medicine in Southern California. And, I’ll tell you from my own experience, Sherrie is one incredibly wise and gifted woman who truly knows her stuff when it comes to great health. A couple of years ago I was experiencing chronic allergy attacks and sinus infections (four sinus infections within a six month period) – fun stuff, right?! By the way, sinus infections weren’t anything new to me – I had the pleasure of getting my butt kicked by them almost every year since my teenage days, antibiotics and all. I was about to endure rounds of annoying allergy testing and injections; then fortunately I found Sherrie. I put myself in her very capable hands and gave acupuncture a try first. Even my Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) MD said acupuncture was worth a shot, which is very refreshing to hear from a Western doctor. Well, I’m thrilled to share that it’s been about 2 1/2 years and I’ve been sinus infection and allergy attack free! Raise the roof! And, given that I live in Southern California where allergy season seems to always be in full effect, this is quite a miracle in my opinion.
My typical acupuncture treatment with Sherrie consists of lying on a cozy massage table with soft, freshly washed sheets. Salt lamps, crystals, essential oils, and healing sounds permeate the serene room. Sherrie asks how I’m feeling and what I’d like to work on which is typically my sinuses, immunity and boosting energy. She can treat a wide array of conditions including: back and neck pain, digestive conditions such as acid reflux, infertility, anxiety, depression, sciatica, asthma, colds, and the list goes on. After that she “needles” me (it doesn’t hurt at all by the way, especially with Sherrie’s velvet touch). I relax and drift off for about 20-25 minutes. Then we move on to something a bit more intense: cupping – this can be slightly uncomfortable, especially if there are a lot of toxins in your body and/or if your back and shoulders are very tight. But, it’s well worth it. See the below photo for what a cupping treatment looks like. Here’s what Sherrie has to share about cupping: “The benefits of cupping in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) is to release tension and toxins that are stored in the muscles. My technique is specifically moving the cups. It is more like a deep massage as it reaches the inner layers of the muscles. It is used to tonify and harmonize all the organs and pathways. It can also be used to pull out emotional blocks as well as prevent or kick out the common cold.” That’s why, just like with a massage, you may feel a bit tired afterwards, and it’s also important to flush your system by drinking a lot of water.
When we finish that up Sherrie rubs some herbal cream into my shoulders and back, then places two ear seeds on the outer part of my ears. What the heck are ear seeds you ask? Sherrie says, “They are placed on the ear to keep the treatment in process for days after your treatment. It keeps the client actively involved in their healing process. The whole body has specific pathways which are represented in each ear. When you place the ear seeds on a specific point it continues to stimulate the acupuncture point in releasing certain chemicals to the brain to create balance and harmony, relieve pain, release seratonin, curb cravings and addictions. The most common points I use are to de-stress and regulate hormones giving optimal balance. I use gold 24 qt. ear seeds since gold is tonifying to the body. Silver ear seeds are for excess and an actual plant called Vicarria seeds are neutralizing.”
By now you’re probably asking yourself, how does acupuncture work anyways? According to Sherrie’s website: “When a needle is inserted into the body, it stimulates blood vessel dilation, which causes an immune defense reaction. This increased blood flow encourages natural chemicals to release. Acupuncturist’s use a variety of techniques to guide this stimulation to specific internal organs for healing and to release pain.” What I also deeply appreciate about Sherrie is that she’s incredibly knowledgeable about herbs, vitamins, supplements, and diet. She’ll consult with you on what foods to eat, what to avoid and which natural remedies are best for optimal health; it’s all personalized and based on your specific condition (s), of course. Sherrie even wraps things up with a little cherry on top by sending you home with essential oil bath salts for a recommended hot soak.
But wait, there’s more! if you happen to be looking for some alternative anti-aging methods, Sherrie has those up her sleeve too – she even offers Facial Acupuncture which is said to help you achieve a more glowing complexion as a result of the “increased Qi and blood flow to the face helping to boost collagen.” Sherrie says: “You will not only appear to look and feel more rested, but the appearance of wrinkles starts to lessen and skin appears more toned.” And, there’s much more to this than just the needles. I assure you this is a very relaxing treatment complete with the luxurious works: a facial cleansing, scrub, mask, and massage. Sherrie really does it up by utilizing all of the most pure, ultra natural skin care products too. So, what have we learned here? Want to boost your health, feel great, enjoy more energy, and look younger? Go see Sherrie Matthews stat! You can find her at:
7373 Beverly Blvd.
West Hollywood, CA 90036
Meta Bela Wellness Boutique
3401 Barham Blvd. #4
Hollywood, CA 90068
Many friends and WhatImLoving.com devotees have been asking me to share my skin care regime so I’m spilling the beans here and revealing my most trusted products. Ever since my pre-teen years I’ve always been mindful of taking really good care of my skin (I thank my mom for instilling that in me!). Other than what we already know and have heard countless times before: drink lots of water, wear sunscreen everyday, don’t soak up too much sun, and get a lot of sleep, I’ve stuck to a solid beauty routine of products I truly believe in. Here is my Dream Team which comes down to four lines – Annmarie Gianni (this makes up the majority of my routine), SkinCeuticals, Revision, and Erno Laszlo:
1) Annmarie Gianni Aloe Herb Cleanser – I can’t tell you how much I love Annmarie Gianni’s skin care products. They’re completely natural, they smell clean and delicious, the prices are fair, and bottom line, they work! The products are also housed in glass containers which is best for safe preservation of these precious fluids. The creamy Aloe Herb Cleanser is for all skin types, it washes off easily and leaves my skin feeling soft and dewy. A few times a week I also use Annmarie Gianni’s other cleanser, Citrus Mint for oily and acne prone skin – I tend to get a little oily around my nose and chin and this stuff does the trick. I never need to use another cleanser again – these two are it for me!
2) SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF – This anti-aging serum has been part of my arsenal for the last five years and I swear by it. I use it religiously every morning right after washing my face. It’s pricy but a little goes a long way and I believe this is a very effective serum. I’m not a scientist or doctor; I just know what works really, really well for my skin. So, go ahead and read about the science behind this stuff here. It melts right in and fine lines seem to disappear.
3) Revision Moisturizing Anti-Aging Sunscreen – I love me a three-in-one beauty product and Intellishade Matte by Revision is the holy grail – an anti-aging tinted moisturizer with sunscreen (SPF 45). I was never into tinted moisturizer until I discovered this stuff. It goes on smooth, sinks right in, never feels tacky, and helps my skin look flawless. It’s a lifesaver when you want to go makeup-less or just don’t have time in the morning for anything more than a slathering.
2) Annmarie Gianni Herbal Oil – Pure oil for your skin? Yup! Greasy? Not at all! I use the Herbal Oil for oily/acne prone skin every night, especially all over my forehead and dab it around my nose and chin. Before using this magic elixir I used to get bumps all over my forehead and they’d never seem to completely go away. After a few days of using it those bumps have never returned. Annmarie makes an Herbal Oil for normal/combination skin too, which I use here and there, especially when my skin feels dry. So to boil it down, I’ll use the Herbal Oil for oily skin on my forehead, chin and nose and the Herbal Oil for Normal and Combination Skin where my skin tends to feel dry (cheeks) and other areas that need a little extra moisture (neck and chest).
3) Annmarie Gianni Anti Aging Oil – I add this oil into the mix since it’s got the extra oomph of anti-aging. Mostly I use it around my eyes, forehead and lips. Love it.
1) Annmarie Gianni Dead Sea Scrub – Two to three times a week I use this ultra fine scrub after the cleanser and it works like a charm. You’ll see the results right away – smooth, baby soft skin.
2) Erno Laszlo Transphuse Age-Defying Mask – This one immediately had me at Age-Defying! I spread it all over my face and neck and keep it on for 15-20 minutes. It’s very creamy and feels like a moisturizer. Sometimes I even leave it on overnight and wash it off the next morning. It leaves my skin looking smooth and line-free. Yes, it’s on the pricier side but I think it’s well worth the splurge considering it lasts awhile and I can see visible results after using it.
And, there you have it! Everyone’s skin is different of course. I’m simply laying out what really and truly works for me. It’s a pretty quick and simple regime too. Once you dive in, I’d love to hear your feedback. Cheers to gorgeous, glowing, healthy, covet-worthy skin!
Whipping up tasty meals at home just became a cinch! Gourmet Garden is my new bestie in the kitchen – fresh, organic herbs and spices all chopped up and ready to go in the convenience of a tube. Just squeeze and prepare to please! From basil, parsley, dill and garlic to more exotic delights like lemongrass and cilantro, these babies will instantly punch up any meal. I simply boil some pasta then squeeze in some of the Basil, a touch of the Garlic, mix it up and voila… in less than 10 minutes a supremely tasty meal is ready to be served – and no rinsing, no chopping, no slicing, no dicing required! My other favorite is creating a salad dressing by stirring the Basil into a little bowl of olive oil, a few squeezes of lemon and a dash of salt – this award-worthy concoction always generates many oohs and aahs. Take boring steamed veggies to new heights by tossing them with a few squeezes of the Dill. The ideas and possibilities are truly endless! They last several months in the frig and are gluten-free. For those with dairy sensitivities, know that one of the ingredients lower on the list is whey. Available at supermarkets across the country (click HERE for all locations). Bon Appetit!
Join me for a blissful day in the beautiful seaside town of Manhattan Beach today (Sunday, December 8th) to celebrate my new children’s book, No Biggy! There’ll be fun activities for the kids, lots of tasty organic treats and take home goodies for both kids and grown-ups. It’s all going down at 12:30 pm at Pages: A Bookstore – 904 Manhattan Avenue, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266 – 310.318.0900.
Endorsed by New York Times Bestselling Author and Pediatrician, Dr. Cara Natterson and inspiring celebrity moms: Julie Bowen, Jaime Pressly, Megyn Cotner, and Sarah Shahi, I wrote No Biggy! to help kids manage frustration. After all, getting frustrated is a part of life. And whether the curious little girl in this story is working on a puzzle, getting the zipper to slide up her jacket or trying to spread peanut butter on a piece of toast, she learns how to manage frustration by taking a deep breath, saying No Biggy! and trying again. She even teaches her mommy and daddy a thing or two, cuz grownups sure get frustrated a lot too.
Click the following link to find No Biggy! on Amazon:
The book is also available in select bookstores across the country and BarnesAndNoble.com via this link: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/no-biggy-elycia-rubin/1117244612?ean=9780615816654
Looking forward to seeing you!
If you’re not already in LA, then think about trying to get here by Sunday. The Laurence School Holiday WHOLESALE Shopping Boutique is here and this one’s a doozy! Mark it down – Sunday, November 10th from 10 am – 4 pm at CBS Radford Studio on New York Street – 4024 Radford Avenue, in glamorous Studio City, California. Amazing finds are all waiting for you – designer clothes for women, luxe home goods, men’s wear, kid’s clothing, jewelry, jeans, candles galore… and all of it at unreal prices. Plus, there’ll be tasty food and treats to help you rev up and power shop. You really, really don’t want to miss this…
Hot dignity! If these are being handed out to the little ghosts and goblins tonight I’m going trick or treating myself… Matt’s Munchies Apple-Licious Fruit Snacks are little slices of heaven. They come in a handy on-the-go pack (perfect for lunch boxes or stashing in the car) and these mini chewy fruit delights are super easy to eat – just peel off a square and munch away. Made with organic mango puree and organic apple flavor, they’re packed with Vitamins A and C and have eight grams of sugar. Try all of the tempting flavors – from Banana and Apricot to Chili Chocolate and Raspberry Delight. I’ll say it again, they’re darn tasty. Even better, they’re spook-a-licious! Happy Halloweeeeeeen!
I’m a huge sucker for mascara. Thick, come hither lashes? Sign me up! A few easy brush strokes quickly punches up the eyes any time of day. From the ultra fancy $30 tube to the bargain at just five clams, I’ve tried them all. Yes, there are several pricier luxury brands that I’ve grown quite fond of, but I’ve also discovered a huge winner that has now become my #1 go to – Loreal Paris Extra-Volume Collagen Mascara. The name alone is enough to give it a whirl! This stuff dramatically boosts my lashes and it doesn’t clump or smudge. More happy news, it’s under $7.00. Go ahead, drench your lashes with a little love.